Thursday, March 17, 2011

Schmuck day

Today we had adventures travelling and visiting  in 6 different galleries to see schmuck.
First place was an exhibition called 'Life's a bench II', where we saw very unique pieces of neckpieces and ring which was made out of plastic, colourful and unique setting of stones, and other works that were also neckpieces and broochs which were enamelled on steels which I found the texture and colour quit interesting.
Second gallery was called 'Finger and Hand Costume', and it wasn't my favourit exhibition I saw today. I found the way they made display on the pieces with hand model that made out of some kind of cotton felt awkwardness of the work. I thought it wasn't really worked well with the hand model, It was difficult to find the connection and relationship between the work and the hand and I learnt that depands on how we make installation could change the whole concept and affects the outcome of the work which could be either good or bad,.
I had another similar situation like this at the 'Look' exhibition. At first, the fluorescent light was attractive but as soon as I got in and tried to 'look' at the works, I was hardly to observe each individual pieces because of the lights. It was funny that people were trying to take photos of the works to 'look' at by the flash and I wander whether that was in purpose to make people to take photos. Everyone at the exhibition seemed trying hard to 'look' and at the same time busy to take photos. The flash and fluorescent light distracted me and I tired to stay longer because I wanted to see the works. May be that is why the exhibition title was 'Look', but still I think it was even reached the idea of 'look' even though we tried to look at the pieces which I was nearly exhausted to stay. I was there to see the proper live image of the works but in the end, I had to look at the works only through by photos that I have taken, and I thought "what is the point of being here to see which I could just stay at home and look it up in internet?"

Ishikawa works were bri-l--li------ant.

'Close the the skin' by Eunmi Chun and Akiko Kurihara were also great. I had a chat with Eunmi Chun about her work, asking few question and she said using her own hair and plating gold on to it is all about transforming from the idea of hair and cow intestine from aversion to beautiful; and transient nature to everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment