Sunday, March 20, 2011

Art is not an International Language 2.0

Today’s experience further supports my previous discussion about the language of art.
Today was the final day of the official Schmuck 2011 schedule. We decided to attend “Baby Bling Bling” which was described as a Jewellery Performance. I was immediately interested. A jewellery performance? What on earth could that possible involve. Would they be making, breaking, displaying, wearing, talking about??? I really had no idea what to expect.
The performance itself was enthusiastic and interesting however by the end of the performance I still didn’t really understand what was going on.  My basic understanding led me to believe there was a section for each artist involved and each section displayed that artists work while actors performed ‘skits’. I’m guessing that each performance related to the work however I can’t be sure as a majority of the performance was in German, a language which (I like to think I can but actually) cannot understand.
Understanding or not, I still found the performance interesting. I had never thought of the combination of performance and jewellery, however now that I have experienced it, it makes sense. Each piece is displayed on a moving body, worn, the way jewellery is intended to.  Instead of being displayed as a stationary object in a cabinet, it is able to move with the body, enhancing each piece.  This movement is something which I hope to draw on in future works.
My understanding and interpretation of the “Baby Bling Bling” performance could be entirely wrong. Is the understanding of the words that were spoken even vital to understanding the performance?  I will never know.
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment