Friday, March 18, 2011

Picture Perfect.

Day 9:
A photograph of a piece of jewellery represents a transformation.
It has transformed a 3D object into 2D - changing the object's sense of scale, depth, context, decorative and technical details. In a photograph you only see what the maker wants you to see or what is relevant to the context of its publication.

Throughout the duration of our trip I have had the opportunity to match pieces of jewellery I've seen in books to the real thing. And those I haven't seen before, I see in a completely new light, far away from the superficial response I have to jewellery while flicking through books, blogs and websites, where judgement relies on what the photo represents rather than what the piece does.

Today we visited Laura Deakin's studio. I have come across images of her pearl work frequently but never taken the time to have a closer look or investigate her work further. However, when I saw and touched the real pearl pieces I loved them; particularly where she had embedded the iridescent shells of fake pearls in contrasting colored plastics.

In photographs I just totally hadn't got Laura's work. I secretly felt a bit guilty - how superficial my jewellery book flicking had been!

V.

No comments:

Post a Comment