Friday, March 25, 2011

Catching up with my past few days.

Monday we have visited Helen Britton, David Beilander.

David Beilander is originally from Switzerland, having goldsmith trained and studied at the Munich academy, He has explained about his making and there were a lot of interesting points have been mentioned.

What’s interest me was that when he describe his process of making, he think of the idea first and then look for the material for it, for example his sausage neck piece made out of the back of Thonet bentwood chair. How would you think this! Sorry for my terrible assumption that I thought that was some sort of already made plastic toy! his work is very  tricky and an element of humor. He describe that how European history of ornamentation is more and more and too much of detail so there for he reduced element through the process of making, how he transform the material by process of making but keep how simple it can be without loosing the detail, in comparison Helen’s work which is s intricate and detailed, more like constriction which is very different approach to David. Both have very different approaches to contemporary jewellery making but at the same time the most important things for them is that the importance of wearability. Jewellery have to be wearable and then it not a jewellery.
Their works are coming to gallery Funaki in later this year; I would like to see the show very much.


Wednesday Pforzheim, visiting real schmuck museum!

We have caught a train about 3 hours. My experience of schmuck museum was amazing.
Was so lucky to be able to see old jewellery, collections, so many amazing craftsmanship, so many details, was just so mind-blowing… baroque of jewellery, rococo, medieval, mourning jewels. All of them were stunning. I love the color of rich orange gold and the combination of colorful precious stones…. I also enjoyed seeing very old Egyptian jewels too.

I was just mind-blowing to see what human can create these delicate and finest tiny details,
It was very interesting to see the technique and ornamentation of jewellery after seeing new different approach to jewellery. But yet I believe something is same, the somebody spend time to produce something so beautiful for somebody, is such a beautiful things.

I had wonderful trip for two weeks and I am very looking forward to going back to my bench.
 s

No comments:

Post a Comment